2.06.2011

127 Hours

I recently watched 127 Hours in theaters on Friday. I must say, that everyone should go see it. I heard of some critical acclaim that this movie was supposedly outstanding, and it is a must-see. None the less, I agree with that statement. It stars James Franco, and by the trailer (which you can see here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlhLOWTnVoQ) you can probably tell it's basically a solo act of him. I don't want to reveal too much, but it is a story of a man who goes on a trip through a canyon, of which no one comes to often, and as he is climbing, he slips on a rock, and is stuck in the canyon. The story then follows on what he does during that time. It may sound boring, but trust me, it will leave most people on the edge of their seats.
In other news, I am bringing up the topic of learning, and how some of us from Glenbrook North always strive for the honors classes, and the prestigious programs (purely on strategic gains on our transcripts). I am currently enrolled in an AP class that started this (2nd) semester. Personally, I had no interest in the subject, and I didn't want to take a class on this subject. However, one thing caught my eye when I was looking over a list of classes, Advanced Placement. Thinking to myself, "Oh, it will probably be as intense as Honors classes. I can manage!" Needless to say, I am absolutely clueless on what's going on within the classroom. Sure I read the textbook, and I do the homework. I just don't comprehend most of it, and my mind is on a feeble twig about to snap on how much more I can handle it. Then this thought emerged in my head, "Why did I take this class? I had no interest in it? I am just digging a deep hole for myself,". It just gave me the point that part of learning is identifying what is my level is, and evaluating how should I approach it. I'm not going to give up; I'm just going to simply deal with it.

1 comment:

  1. I see what you're talking about when AP comes to mind. Many students also take AP classes not because of the interest but because of the college credit a student may get. I think your biggest mistake was choosing a class you weren't remotely interested in. Even with the benefits of getting a college course out of the way, getting honors credit, and saving money, it's most likely that you won't be able to grasp all that the class has to offer. In common cases, if you take an AP class that you aren't interested it, whatever you may want to major in in the future may not even require that class at all. However it is still the beginning of second semester and I hope you'll be able to find something about the class that interests you. This decision may also help you further in your educational career when you decide what other electives you may take. I'm sure you will be able to handle the class well but maybe next time you give a second thought to see whether the advanced placement part was worth the semester of agony.

    ReplyDelete