11.07.2010

Disappointment? More Like Encouragment.

Disappointment is a big part of life. One can try so hard at something, or wish for something to happen, and their hopes get crush. I've been recently disappointed in the past two weeks. I've recently tried out for our winter production: Comedy Sportz, and wasn't cast. I was bitter about it for about 2 minutes, then I realized that I needed to work harder at my acting, and not be so disheartened. I decided to focus on my skills for speech after that moment, which helped me though out because I had a speech tournament on November 6. I must say I loved it. I loved performing my radio broadcasting speech in front of people. I loved being in my suit, and strutting (so to speak) all over the school. I loved talking to people I would never meet again. I loved going down from the stands to bring home a 6th place medal. It was quite the experience.

Experiencing the whole tournament made me realize that there are other opportunities ahead of me. Because of this, I realized that my acting skills are weak, and with the aid of my friend I have decided to take an acting class with him in the later winter. I can't wait for it. I'm also going to try to opt out of my elective in high school to switch to drama. I wasn't dedicated to the elective I had at the moment: architecture. It was sort of a phase with me, which means to me that I was always debating if I liked it or not. With drama, performing, speeches, and such I'm filled with excitement. I'm always eager to perform; whether it's bad or not.

Relating this to you, reader, you must not over fret over little things like getting disappointed. Maybe you didn't make the basketball team, or maybe you didn't win a debate tournament, or maybe you aren't the best artist. You're who you are. Maybe people are better than you at what you like to do, but that doesn't mean you're bad at it. It's the perseverance and effort that counts.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that from our greatest mistakes and failures we learn the most. When we don’t exactly succeed, we learn there’s room for improvement. Freshman year I ran for student board, and didn’t get elected. Instead of getting frustrated, I saw it as one door closed another was opening up! However sometimes it’s really challenging to accept the fact that you weren’t good enough after all your hard work. You wrote about giving up architecture for drama…when is it okay to stop one passion to improve a weaker area? What if all your work continues to lead to disappointment, where’s the encouragement in that?

    ReplyDelete